How many times have you watched an action movie and felt like throwing a punch or fly up and do a well placed a roundhouse kick in the air?
How often we end up with energy coursing up through our body from all the thrill and action onscreen, and soon get dismayed at our oh-so-normal life?
Here is a list of twenty one action movies that are must watches and worth watching all over again.
1. Mad Max: Fury Road is a 2015 action film which is the fourth addition to the Mad Max franchise.
The film is set in a future period following a nuclear holocaust, and the tyrant Immortan Joe holds the only livable place, the Citadel. Max, a captive, helps Furiosa and Joe’s Wives escape in search of a better place to live. What follows is an action trail filled with trucks, sand, roads and tons of ammunition.
2. Die Hard is the first of the five films in the Die Hard action film series. The series has recorded uniform commercial success throughout the years. John McClane is a cop, acted by Bruce Willis, who finds himself in the middle of situations, and he is the only hope everyone clings onto.
3. Ong Bak 2 is a Thai action film with loads of martial arts. This movie with an epic element, shows the protagonist engaged with a group that combines the different Asian martial art forms, and grows to be a fighter to be feared.
4. Speed is an action thriller that certainly sets your adrenalin racing. It tells the story of two SWAT cops in LA, who are tipped of a bomb in a bus that is set to explode if it slows down. The movie is their attempt to save the civilians on board and track down the bomber.
5.Saltis an action thriller starring everyone’s favorite Angelina Jolie as an American Spy, who is accused of being a Russian sleeper agent. The movie is packed with practical stunts by the actor, with minimal digital intervention.
6. Taken is a French action thriller in English language. Liam Neeson dons the role of a CIA officer in pursuit of saving his abducted daughter. Drama and action made this movie a box office hit.
7. The Matrix remains everyone’s all time favorite movie, which captures a life meddled between the reality and a virtual world. This movie popularized the visual effect called bullet time that captures the action in slow motion with the frame in real time.
8. Hitman: Agent 47 is a German-American action thriller, about mysterious bioengineered assassins, who are sent on covert missions. It is originally based on a video game series.
9. The Terminator: Judgment Day is a coming of age movie in terms of the action and visual effects used. This movie also has a nostalgic effect for everyone, who has seen the first edition to the series.
10. Léon: The Professional is an English Language French action thriller. Leone is a hitman, living a solitary life. His neighbor comes into his life seeking shelter, and later wants to avenge her kid brother. Jean Reno and Natalie Portman star in this film.
11. Gladiator is an epic drama film, set in 180 AD. A loyal general is reduced to a slave, and grows through the ranks to become a Gladiator. There’s war, swords, lots of drama and action to catch in this historic fiction.
12. Enter The Dragon is one of the most watched Bruce Lee films. It’s a Chinese martial arts produced by Warner Bros. This was Bruce Lee’s last film and was released posthumously, and he was one of the writers of the film as well.
13. Kill Bill: Volume 1is an action thriller, and the first of the two movies in the Kill Bill series. It has Uma Thurman as the Bride, who seeks revenge against an assassination squad. The movie originally was 4 hours long and later got released in two volumes.
14. IP Manis a Hong Kong martial arts biopic film based on the life and story of Yip Man. Yip Man is the grandmaster of Wing Chun and the master of Bruce Lee.
15. Mission Impossibleis a much too familiar action thriller movie series, with five installments till date, and news of a sixth installment making its rounds. The series is based on a television series of the same name, telling the story of Impossible Missions Force’s agent and Commander Ethan Hunt, played by Tom Cruise.
16. Kagemushais a Japanese film. A lower class thief is taught to impersonate a dying warlord, in order to hide the clan’s vulnerability. Later the theif impersonate the chief on his own will, finally assuming the role and dying for the clan. War, fights and an inspiring story, the movie makes a good watch.
17. The Raid: Redemption is an Indonesian action film that ought to be there in our must-watch list. It is a story of a SWAT cop who takes up a raid with a personal motive of finding his estranged brother and bringing him back home. There is ambush, guns, fighting and pure martial arts that you would not want to miss.
18. The Man From Nowhere is a Korean action movie that shows an unassuming pawn shop keeper, who turns to his darker side as a lethal fighter and trained pain inflictor, when the only person he trusts to understand him is taken away from him.
19. The Killer is a Hong Kong action thriller based on the story of a hitman. The protagonist accidently hurts a singer during a shootout, and sets out to carry out a final assassination to make money for her treatment. With blood, battle and bullets, the film was a well received action movie.
20. The Bourne Ultimatumis an action thriller movie, and third of the Bourne series. This movie is the quest of Jason Bourne to uncover his true identity, and try to stay alive.
21. Casino Royale; no list of action movies are complete without a Bond movie, the ultimate British Secret Agent with the coolest gadgets, cars and what not. This movie has Daniel Craig as agent 007, gambling against the financer of a terrorist group. Clearly the stakes are high.
Action movies freeze you to the couch, no matter the plot or the language the movie is shot in. No one gets enough of the thrill these movies give you.
Catch up on these must watches if you had missed them; and Hey! Don’t get lost in the action, and forget to chew your popcorn!!